- Privacy statement of the American Institute For Foreign Study
This Website is operated by American Institute for Foreign Study, Inc. (“we/our/us”). “Website” means the website located at www.aifs.com, any subsequent URL which may replace this website, and all associated websites including but not limited to www.aifsabroad.com, mainstg.aupairinamerica.com, www.academicyear.org, www.giftedstudy.org, www.campamerica.com, www.acis.com, www.culturalinsurance.com and www.aifspartnerships.com, URLs and micro sites. “You/your” means you as a user of the Website. “User” means anyone that accesses this Website. We offer this Website, including all information, tools and services available from this Website, to you conditioned upon your acceptance of all the terms, conditions, policies and notices stated here.
1. Types of Personal Information Collected
- We will ask you for certain kinds of personal information (“Personal Information”) to provide the services you request. This information includes:
- Email List – When you create an account with us, you will be given the option to be added to our mail list. Whether or not you select this option, your Personal Information will never be shared with or sold to third parties that you have not consented to. To be removed from our email list, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name and email address in the message, or click the “unsubscribe” button found at the bottom of the emails we send you.
2. Use of Your Personal Information
- We use the Personal Information we collect for various purposes, including:
- to communicate with you about matters, including products, services, and promotions, that might be of interest to you; and
- to improve our overall Website experience.
3. Sharing Personal Information With Third Parties
- 3.1 We do not share, sell or trade your Personal Information gathered online with any third parties, except with your consent or as described herein. Forms you fill out to interact with our business units to request literature, place an order, track an order or otherwise correspond with us may request personal information. For example, the Website uses order forms for customers to request information, products and services. Contact information from these forms is used to send information requested. We may share your Personal Information with our corporation affiliates and business united within the same corporation.
- 3.2 We may disclose your Personal Information when legally required to do so, to cooperate with law enforcement investigations or other legal proceedings, to protect against misuse or unauthorized use of the Website, to limit our legal liability and protect our rights or to protect the rights, property or safety of Users of this Website or the public.
- 3.3 We may also disclose your Personal Information to outside individuals and/or companies that help us bring you the products and services we offer and to create, operate, and maintain our Website. For example, we may work with third parties to: (a) manage a database of customer information; (b) assist us in distributing e-mails; (c) assist us with direct marketing and data collection; (d) provide data storage and analysis; (e) provide fraud prevention; (f) provide customer service; and (g) provide other services designed to assist us in developing and running our Website and maximizing our business potential. We require that these outside companies agree to keep all information shared with them confidential and to use the information only to perform their obligations to us.
- 3.4 In addition, if we go through a business transition, such as a merger, acquisition by another company, or sale of all or a portion of our assets, your Personal Information will likely be among the assets transferred.
- 3.5 Our Website will allow users to post comments and other content to our Website. Any Personal Information that you post to our Website will become public information and will be accessible by other users of the Website. In addition, your user name will be viewable by other users, and we therefore encourage you to use a user name that is not your actual name. We have no responsibility to maintain the privacy or security of any such Personal Information that you may choose to post to our Website.
4. Non-Personally Identifiable Information
- 4.1 Through your use of this Website, we may also collect certain non-personally identifiable information from you (“NPII”). NPII is not associated with you as an individual. It is measured anonymously and only in the aggregate.
- 4.3 We may also use “pixel tags” (sometimes called “web beacons” or “clear gifs”), which are tiny graphic images, on the Website. Pixel tags help us analyze Users’ online behavior and measure the effectiveness of the Website and our advertising and marketing. We may also use other analytical tools to evaluate site performance through the use of aggregated data, which contain no Personal Information. We work with service providers that help us track, collect, and analyze this information.
- 4.5 Cookies, pixel tags, and/or other analytical tools in our emails may be used to track your interactions with those messages, such as when you receive, open, or click a link in an email message from us.
- 4.6 We may also work with businesses that use tracking technologies to deliver advertisements on our behalf across the Internet. These companies may collect information about your visits to the Website and your interaction with our advertising and other communications, but no Personal Information is shared with them.
- 4.7 We may combine the NPII collected through cookies, pixel tags and other analytical tools with other information we may have collected from you. This information may be used to improve our Website, to personalize your online experience, to help us deliver information to you, to determine the effectiveness of advertising, and for other internal business purposes.
- 4.8 Many browsers including Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Google Chrome contain a “do not track” optional setting. In general, when a “do not track” setting is active, the user’s browser notifies websites that the user does not want the user’s personally identifiable information about an individual consumer’s online activities tracked over time and across different Web sites or online services. Websites are not required to honor a do not track request and as required by amendments to the California Shine the Light law, we are informing you that we do not honor such requests.
- 4.9 When you browse this Website, advertising cookies may be placed on your computer so that we can understand what you are interested in. Our display advertising partners may then help us retarget ads to you on other sites based on your interactions with this Website.
5. Your Security
- 5.1 We strive to keep your Personal Information private and safe. We take commercially reasonable physical, electronic and administrative steps to maintain the security of Personal Information collected, including limiting the number of people who have physical access to database servers, as well as employing electronic security systems and password protections that guard against unauthorized access.
- 5.2 Unfortunately, despite our best efforts, the transmission of data over the Internet cannot be guaranteed to be 100% secure. While we will use every reasonable means to ensure the security of information you transmit through the Website, we cannot guarantee that such information will not be intercepted by third parties. We will, however, prosecute any unauthorized or fraudulent transactions to the fullest extent permitted by law.
6. Privacy/Data Protection of Au Pair Personal Data
- In this section:
- Au Pair Personal Data means personal data relating to any au pairs (which in this section includes (1) au pairs/companions taking part in the Program, or (2) prospective au pairs/companions who wish to take part in the Program (whether before or after the date of this Agreement));
- Consent means the au pair’s agreement to the processing of personal data relating to him or her (through a statement or a clear positive action), which must be freely given, specific, informed and be an unambiguous indication of his or her wishes;
- Privacy Laws means the EU Data Protection Directive 95/46/EC, the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679, and any other applicable law or regulation relating to the processing of personal data and to privacy (as amended or replaced from time to time);
- Personal data means any information identifying an individual or relating to an individual that allows him or her to be identified (directly or indirectly) from that data alone or in combination with other information;
- Personal data breach means any accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, unauthorized disclosure of, or access to personal data; and
- Process or processing means any activity that involves the use of personal data, including obtaining, recording or holding the data, or amending, retrieving, using, erasing or destroying it, or transferring it to third parties.
- Your personal data
- Au pair Personal Data
- You agree to only process (or use) Au Pair Personal Data to the extent that is necessary for the following purposes:
- to select an au pair for you family;
- to engage and manage the au pair you select (if any);
- to comply with this Agreement and our requests from time to time; or
- to comply with a legal obligation (in which case you must notify us).
- You agree to only process (or use) Au Pair Personal Data:
- relating to prospective au pairs, until you have decided which particular au pair you would like to select for you family (if any), following which you shall promptly and securely delete all copies in your possession of the Au Pair Personal Data relating to au pairs you decide not to engage; and
- relating to any au pair who takes part in the Program as part of your family, until the end of their placement with you (unless you have obtained their Consent to do otherwise), at which time, you shall promptly and securely delete all copies of the Au Pair Personal Data in your possession and, if we so request, provide us with confirmation in writing that you have done so.
- You shall:
- treat Au Pair Personal Data confidentially (and ensure that other members of your household shall do the same);
- not store or transfer Au Pair Personal Data outside the U.S, except to us;
- not disclose Au Pair Personal Data to any person outside your household, or otherwise allow any such person to process Au Pair Personal Data, without our prior written consent;
- as far as possible, ensure that you have appropriate security measures (such as password protected laptops and email accounts) to protect Au Pair Personal Data against unauthorized or unlawful processing and accidental destruction, damage or loss, so as to enable us to comply with our obligations under the Privacy Laws;
- promptly provide any information or assistance reasonably required by us, to enable us to comply with our obligations under the Privacy Laws, including assisting us to:
- comply with our own security obligations;
- respond to requests from au pairs exercising their rights; and
- inform au pairs about serious personal data breaches; and
- keep any information that is necessary to demonstrate compliance with your obligations in this section, including full and accurate records relating to the processing of Au Pair Personal Data and shall, upon reasonable notice, provide copies to us or our representatives of any information or records kept by you under this term.
- If you become aware of any suspected or actual personal data breach relating to Au Pair Personal Data, you shall notify us within 24 hours, and provide any information that we may need to report such circumstances to the relevant supervisory authority and/or notify the affected au pair(s) (as we may decide).
- If you receive from any au pair:
- any communication asking to exercise their rights under the Privacy Laws; and/or
- any complaint or any claim for compensation arising from or relating to the processing of Au Pair Personal Data,
- you shall (1) notify us (within 4 days of receipt) and (2) provide us with any assistance we may need (within 7 days of our request) to comply with our obligations to respond to requests from such au pair under the Privacy Laws.
7. Links to Other Websites
- 7.1 While visiting the Website, you may link to websites operated by third parties or you may have come to the Website using a link found in another website. This does not mean that we endorse these websites or the goods or services they provide. We do not make any representations or warranties about any website that may be linked to the Website. Such other websites are independent from us, and we have no control over, or responsibility for, their information, products or activities.
- You will receive emails from us only if you have asked to receive them. If you do not want to receive e-mails from us you may click on the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any email communication sent by us. Please allow us 10 business days from when the request was received to complete the removal, as some of our promotions may already have been in process before you submitted your request.
9. “Spoofing” And “Phishing”
- A common Internet scam is known as “spoofing” or “phishing.” This occurs when you receive an email from what appears to be a legitimate source requesting Personal Information from you. Please be aware that we will not send you any emails requesting you to verify any Personal Information. If you ever receive an email that appears to be from us requesting such information from you, DO NOT respond to it, and DO NOT click on any links appearing in the email. Instead, please forward the email to us at email@example.com as we will investigate instances of possible Internet fraud.
10. Children and Privacy
11. Your California Privacy Rights
- Under California Civil Code sections 1798.83-1798.84, California residents are entitled to ask us for a notice describing what categories of Personal Information we share with third parties or corporate affiliates for those third parties or corporate affiliates’ direct marketing purposes. That notice will identify the categories of information shared and will include a list of the third parties and affiliates with which it was shared, along with their names and addresses. If you are a California resident and would like a copy of this notice, please submit a written request to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow 30 days for a response.
12. U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Framework
- We comply with the U.S.-EU Safe Harbor Framework as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use, and retention of personal information from European Union member countries. We have certified that the Website adheres to the Safe Harbor Privacy Principles of notice, choice, onward transfer, security, data integrity, access, and enforcement. To learn more about the Safe Harbor program, and to view our certification, please visit http://export.gov/safeharbor/.
13. Disclosure for Legal Purposes
- You hereby authorize us to disclose any of your Personal Information pursuant to judicial and administrative proceedings and to law enforcement or government agencies if we believe the disclosure is necessary or appropriate. You also authorize us to disclose Personal Information if we believe the disclosure is necessary or appropriate in the event of an investigation of improper or illegal conduct in connection with the Website, such as fraud, misrepresentation, intellectual property infringement, or other activity that may put us at risk for liability.
14. Non-Confidential Information
- We do not want you to send to us any confidential or proprietary information through email or otherwise. Any information, materials, suggestions, ideas or comments sent to us will be considered non-confidential, and by submitting the same to us, you are giving us the absolute right to use, modify, reproduce, transmit, display and distribute the information for any purpose whatsoever, with no payment or other compensation to you. However, we will not use your name unless we are required by law to identify the source of the materials, information, suggestions, ideas or comments, or unless we first obtain your permission.
- If you have any questions about your privacy or security at the Website, please send an email to email@example.com and include your name and email address in the message. If you do not receive a response from us to any emails you send to us within 7 business days, please send us another email as your original email may not have been received.
- Our site gives users the option to change and modify information previously provided by relaying changes or modifications to us by calling (866) 906 2437.